Want to start a blog and get paid by blogging?
Yeah! It’s possible to do both at the same time!
After all, What’s better than following your passion and making passive income along. None the less, it’s a great way to start building your online career which could help you reach the new heights.
From the last 11 years, Khooji has been teaching about blogging to millions of users around the globe and we are also publishing income reports every month to help you start a blog and live a boss-free life.
The reason for starting for your blog could be many of these:
- Sharing your knowledge
- Social impact
- Documenting your thoughts
- Passive income
- Free gadgets and stuff for review
- Getting invited to conferences and bloggers meet
Or any other.
For a starter, here are some of the questions you should be asking to start a blog:
- Where should you start a blog? (Platform for blogging)
- What niche you should pick? (Blog topic)
- What should be your domain name?
- How to buy the domain name?
- Where should you host your blog?
- How to buy hosting for your domain name?
- How to install your blog on the domain name?
- Design of your blog
- Essential elements to make your blog shine
- How to write the first blog post
In this guide, you will find answers to all these questions and will be able to start a blog.
So grab a cup of coffee and read on to your new journey.
Here are the steps to start a blog:
- Step 1: Picking the blog topic
- Step 2: Select the blogging platform
- Step 3: Pick a domain name & hosting for your blog
- Step 5: Install WordPress on the blog (Tutorial is given below)
- Step 6: Setup the design of the blog
- Step 7: Install the best WordPress plugins
- Step 8: Write your first blog post
- Step 9: Share your writeup with the world
- Step 10: Monetize your blog
- Step 11: Drive traffic and gain more exposure
Note: To make it easier for you to take action, I’m suggesting only those options in terms of platform, hosting which are working for everyone.
How To Start A Blog From Scratch and with No Experience
This blog creation guide is created for users like you who are just starting out and knows a little or nothing about blogging.
Within the next few minutes, you will have your blog up and running.
Step 1: Pick a Blog name & domain name for your blog
Domain Name Must be:
Easy to remember, Easy to type, Easy to pronounce.
Just remember these 3 secrets when picking a domain name for your blog.
Name of your blog is the most crucial part for success. A domain name is the URL of a blog which a visitor will use to open a blog.
For example; www.ShoutMeLoud.com
A custom domain name is like www.ShoutMeLoud.com, for which we need to pay $12/year. However, I have shared a trick below which will help you save this $12 on domain purchase.
Now, there are a few rules which will help you to pick the best name for your new blog. Here are some of the tips from my experience:
- Prefer .com domain name above everything else.
- Your domain name should be easy to pronounce and easy to type.
- Make sure your domain name should not be confusing to the listener.
You can use Bluehost domain suggestion feature to check if your domain name is available or not. Simply enter any word that you have picked for your blog and it will also show you available domain name suggestions.
My suggestion is to be creative and follow the three rules I shared above. Here are a few things you should not do when selecting the domain name for your new blog:
- Don’t use a too long domain name. Try to keep it lower than 12 characters. Ex: ShoutMeLoud
- Don’t use domain extension like .info, .net and so on, because they tend to rank bad in Search engines. I always prefer and suggest to use a domain name extension like .com or .org.
Picking the hosting to start the blog:
Now, let us build our blog on a hosting.
Web-hosting is where WordPress will be installed. This is a server which stays online 24*7 and all your future blog images, your blog design and everything will be stored on this server (hosting).
That is how your website will be up and running 24*7.
The good thing is, hostings are cheap.
There are plenty of hosting service providers but for your blog:
Bluehost is the idlest choice as it offers everything you need to create a blog. Features like:
- Free SSL
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited storage
- Free domain name (Saving of $12/year)
- Easy to use cPanel.
- Live chat support
- 30 days money back guarantee
And the best part, it only cost $2.95/month Grab Bluehost hosting for special price
Set up your blog
The best thing about Bluehost (as you see in the above video) is, it will automatically install the blog for you. However, you are not done, as you need to complete a few things before you will write your first blog post
To start setting up your blog for branding and make it perfect, I have shared some guides which you can refer to get started:
Step 1: Select the Blogging Platform
The first answer you should have is, where should you create your blog?
There are many blogging platforms out there, and people have different opinions about each of them.
Most of the Bloggers start blogging on the WordPress platform.
WordPress is popular because it’s easy to use.
Here is an interesting fact: 30% of the websites in the world is powered by WordPress.
Once you have crossed the testing period, you are ready to do something more meaningful. Get a WordPress blog, and don’t confuse yourself with WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress -blog.
A self-hosted WordPress blog (WordPress.org) is what you need. It means you will be installing WordPress on your own hosting and getting a domain. This process is easy & in the further section, you will also learn how to do that.
Step 3: What your blog is about? (Niche)
The very first thing you need to do is find the niche of your blog. By niche, I mean finding a topic that your blog is going to be about.
I hope you don’t plan to blog about every random thing and make money. This doesn’t work in 2019 and your chances of success are better when you blog on a single topic.
You might be a jack of all trades, and want to start a blog on multiple topics, but it will not be fruitful, as people like to subscribe to a blog, which is an authority on a particular topic.
Moreover, Google which is the biggest search engine prefers a website which is built on a single topic. For example, ShoutMeLoud topic is “blogging,” and that’s how you found us.
Now, the big question is
how to find the topic of your blog?
Here are a few tips that will help you to get started:
- Find a topic that you know better than anyone else. It doesn’t have to be the job you are doing, and it could be anything. Try to think about the topic that you most like to talk about, and you can comfortably talk about it for hours.
- The good idea is to pick a topic that you usually read about. The topic which you read about all the time is something that interests you.
- Also, make sure you have a keen interest in a particular topic, and you can add values with your own insight.
- For newbies, I always recommend to take the help of pen-paper and write down the topics in different columns that you like. For ex: Motivation, Fashion, Technology, Finance, Photography, Scientific research, Babycare, health care and so on. Now, try to write 5 post ideas for those different columns. When you are writing the post title, think about what you can write without taking reference. By the end of the 5th article, it will help you to find the topic (Niche) that you like the most.
This is a critical step before starting a blog, as it will help you to pick a topic that you are most passionate about.
This will ensure that you will not burn out when your blog goes live.
If you are picking a topic that you like to talk about and write about, it will ensure that your burn out period will never come. So, I assume you have selected the niche for your blog which can make some money for you.
Conclusion- selecting the appropriate niche is the first and the most important step for starting a new blog.
Design of your blog
Blogging platform? Check!
Blog niche? Check!
Domain name? Check!
“The first impression is the last impression”, that’s the mantra we follow for a blog.
Blog design is the most important aspect of your blog because a good design will ensure that your visitors will love your blog. In fact, that is how your readers will remember your blog. Imagine your blog design as you with a nice outfit.
In WordPress, there is a concept called “WordPress themes”. These are ready-made designs that are available for all types of blog.
There are many Free and premium WordPress themes out there. I always recommend to go for a premium theme because you will get all the support and starter guide, and moreover, you will have a quality design for your blog.
Here are easy to use modern theme clubs which I would recommend you to start with.